Saturday, January 29, 2011

We're Back!!!

I apologize for the long hiatus. I am just now beginning to settle back into a routine that allows me to continue work on this blog. Between studying until my brain threatens to explode, mountains of laundry, piles of dishes, and a toddler who has discovered the art of tantrum throwing...I am one busy and exhausted mama! We haven't been on our best  behavior, but we haven't been on our worst either. We're making more meat-free meals than ever before and I've found a lot of awesome recipes that are delicious AND healthy.

Let's just jump right back in with a food log for the day. I will restart our budget beginning Monday.

Breakfast: Kashi Honey Sunshine Cereal - I swear this cereal has a maple syrup taste to it, but I've become oddly fond of that.

Lunch: Tuna Sandwich on Honey Wheat Sandwich Thin + Cup of Fruit + Jello
I LOVE sandwich thins. I never realized that one slice of bread alone is 100 + calories, whereas one sandwich thin is 100 calories. On a side note, I'm not an advocate of Jello. I would NOT consider it to be healthy. However, I have an uber sweet tooth and buying sugar-free jello (which is only 10 calories) has seemed to satisfy cravings for sweets (at least 80 percent of the time). Also, if I am in a snack-y mood...I know that I can eat one or even two cups of this jello without any guilt.

Snack: Pudding Cup (I couldn't resist because I gave one to my kids for dessert after lunch) and a small bowl of whole grain popcorn.

Dinner: Turkey Burgers, Au Gratin Potatoes, and Green Beans.
This was my first time ever making turkey burgers. They came out pretty good - there wasn't much difference between actual burgers other than the texture. I left off the bun and I thought it was just as good :)

Here is the recipe:

2 pounds ground turkey
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup diced onion (I used one small onion)
1 egg
1/8 cup chopped parsley
3 cloves garlic (you can reduce the amount if you're not a garlic person)
1 teaspoon soy
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce

#1. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Form into patties (this recipe made seven medium patties for us)
#2. Cook on a skillet or griddle on medium heat until they reach an internal temp of 180.

No comments:

Post a Comment